Sunday, January 3, 2016

Spanish branch Christmas party

I didn't post these pictures yet because I was hoping to get some better ones from rich... But that hasn't happened yet so I guess I better get started. 
I needed to write down the story of our first branch Christmas party so I don't forget it in years to come. 

Party starts at 5pm. There are a total of 4 missionaries, 6 hamiltons and maybe 6 other people there. 515 our friend Trent who is playing Santa shows up. He plans to eat and then go be Santa. 530 someone reassures us dinner is on its way but it isn't here yet. There are 2 sodas and bread and the plate of veggies I brought (which are now being chopped up and thrown into a salad). 

545 we decide to have the kids put on the living nativity while rich reads the scriptures. There aren't enough kids so the missionaries participate. 

615 the food arrives. More people have shown up so by now there are maybe 30 people. We start eating. 630 someone brings a bunch of soda. I am talking at least 12 2 liter bottles. 

7 pm and Santa goes to get dressed. But then a mom who wasn't there earlier wants her son to reinact the nativity so all the kids get dressed up again. There are enough kids now that only 1 missionary participates.  Ryann is the Angel, Cara is the donkey (who plays dead in the middle of the production) Shelby is sleeping and Mac is crying on the floor until we finally give him a cookie to make him be quiet. 

730 and Santa finally comes. The branch members bought presents for Santa to pass out to every kid who sat on his lap. It was so sweet and the kids loved it. After the kids sit on santas lap, every single adult does too. They take pictures and laugh and at this point more than 50 people are at the party. 

By 8 dessert is served and the piñatas start. Cara starts and she hits the piñata 3 times and tried to pass the stick to the next kid. But no. They are singing the piñata song. So this means she needs to keep swinging and hit the piñata until they finish singing. Then Ryann gets a turn and every other kid does. Usually we would start over with the kids.... But nope bathe adults get turns. Every single one. And the missionaries. And the branch president. And I think I was the only one who didn't do it because I was holding Shelby. 

After that piñata broke and a few heads were bashed, they started the second piñata. They were filled with toys and candy and stuffed animals and money. So much fun. 

Finally around 850, my kids are exhausted and crying now and fighting and what not, they decide to clean up. I load up the kids in the car and I can't help but laugh and remind myself to never go to a party again with only 1 car. 

It was so much fun, but a 4 hour church Christmas party?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment