Sunday, April 21, 2013

Pneumonia

On Thursday night I had some spicy Mexican food for dinner. It gave me heartburn. So then I slept almost upright and somehow pinched a nerve in my neck.
Friday I wasn't so hot. My neck hurt and my back hurt and my shoulder hurt. 
Eventually I was at the hospital waiting for a baby to make it's entrance into the world and it started hurting when I took deep breaths. 

 I figured I just needed to see a chiropractor because this pinched nerve was getting a little out of control.
So I scheduled an appointment, but not until Tuesday. 

When I got home from the delivery I was a hot mess. I was in pain and achy and couldn't breathe right. I got into the bath and stayed there for a very long time. I went to bed feeling slightly better.

Saturday morning comes around and I am on call. I head off to the hospitals around 615, see my patients, get some breakfast and I decide to call my dad. I explain my symptoms, we triage myself together to try and make sure it is all normal and then I head off to the office. I see about 8 patients when I realize that I am not doing so well. 

I am short of breath. It hurts to breathe. The left side of my chest has a lot of pain. I start breathing really fast and notice that I am making a weird grunting noise when I breathe. I start sweating a little bit. 

But then I have to ignore it because there is another baby about to be born. So I hurry to the hospital, catch the baby, then go back to the office for the next 8 or so patients. The whole time I am trying to convince myself that I am fine, but really I start to know that I am not. 

I text my dad my symptoms, as well as the OB that I work with and I tell them I am going to be evaluated in OB traige. I feel so silly going, because I figure that it is just some weird pregnancy related symptom that was associated with the pinched nerve, but by this time I can't slow down my breathing that I don't even care anymore. 
(here is my lovely snacks and water at my bedside table)

So they ran some blood tests, did an EKG, noticed my heart rate was elevated, and did a chest x-ray that came up with pneumonia! Seriously, pneumonia?? Who gets pneumonia in April in phoenix?  Well, I guess overtired, overworked midwives who are pregnant and are around sick people all the time. 

(Last pregnancy I had shingles, so I guess I would take pneumonia over that.)

So needless to say, I am off call and taking some time to lay in bed all day long (and catch up on blogging of course!) because I need to get better before I fly off to Utah on Thursday to watch my baby brother marry the love of his life. 

Thank you for all the prayers and well wishes. After a couple doses of antibiotics, fevers off and on all night (but none today!), a blessing, and some rest I am starting to feel that I will kick this little bugger very quickly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment