Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Earthquake

I haven't blogged about the earthquake yet because it has been so busy!  The earthquake woke us up from sleep around 320 am. It was violent but fast. I believe I screamed and grabbed onto rich as I sat up in bed. Right away I jumped out of bed and ran into Ryann and cara's room. I jumped in their bed and started to ask if they were ok. I quickly explained what had happened.  During this time rich had gotten Mac who also had woken up from it. 

When I had ran down the hall to get the girls I had stepped on some glass picture frames. I did t realize that I had done this until my dad came down the hall with his headlamp. I asked him to check the bottom of my feet for cuts but I was good. I figured I would have felt it, but adrenaline was running high.  

My dad then went to assess the damage while I continued to comfort the girls. We explained what happened and how they couldn't get out of bed until we cleaned up all the glass.  They went back to sleep and we put Mac back in his crib. Rich and I then went to work with my parents. My parents went to check on my grandparents while rich and I cleaned up.  Our tv which was in our room fell and made some marks on the wall, a couple pictures fell from our room, a bunch more pictures from the house, a bunch of dishes and a lot of food storage. We still have yet to clean the pantry.

The fridge opened up, my parents dresser fell, the fountain, some potted plants, but overall we were lucky.  The worst part was no electricity for almost 24 hours. My grandparents weren't as lucky in the breaking of material possessions though. My grandma, for those of you that don't know, was an avid garage sale-er for many years. She has quite the collection of dishes. I have spent the past few days working on cleaning up their place.

Sunday morning once the kids got up we made them wear shoes inside the house. We had to carry Mac the whole day because we couldn't vacuum up any of the tiny glass pieces. We then Got ready for church since rich and I were speaking. As we were about to get in the car my mom told us that church was cancelled because he church building didn't have any power.

Rich was my super hero that day. He watched the kids the rest of the day while my mom and I went around to ward members and checked on them and cleaned.  One apartment we cleaned in an assisted living facility was undescribable. Like wow. Stuff everywhere. Imagine hoarders with medicine and a giant earthquake on the top floor, I don't know how to even describe it.  Anyway, I am thankful for the service I have been able to do while living here for this earthquake. I will just leave it at that.

I didn't take many pictures of what happened because it was dark, middle, of the night, no wifi, no cell phone chargers, and because it was too overwhelming. However, lots of other people took pictures on Facebook so I can always look there for  a reminder in case I forget.

Now my mom and I are on a mission to help clean my grandparents house. We completely cleaned my grandparents room... I found a maternity body pillow that they won in 2008... So I started counting all the grand kids that have been pregnant who they could have given it to in the past 6 years, and let's just say it is more that you would think, like at least 8 or 9 granddaughters through at least 14 pregnancies. Totally awesome. And they had no idea it was still there.  I am finding all sorts of treasures.

We also started cleaning out their cottage. It is filled to the brim with everything that doesn't fit in their house anymore. Gorgeous dishes that aren't even the best ones! I am sorting them now but i have at least 2 more days of work to do that. After the pottage we are moving on to he shed.  I can't even imagine how many lawn mowers, gloves, gas tanks, clippers, nails, and screw drivers are there. I will let you know.

 And no blog post is complete without pictures. You're welcome. 




No comments:

Post a Comment