Saturday, August 9, 2014

Tender Mercies

This will be a boring post, mostly for me to look back on in 10 years to see what was going on with our family.  As most of you know I am waiting on California to approve my nursing and midwifery license. It has been a long and drawn out process which started in October of last year when I first submitted my application. 3 months later the application finally made it from the inbox and it was opened. From the day they open the application it has approximately 90 days to have an answer. Well, during this time I applied for and was offered a job. I was planning to start in may when the girls finished school. At approximately 90 days after my application was recieved I was given a letter letting me know that my license had been denied based on my history of probation in Arizona 4 years ago. I had completed the probation successfully, held job and did quite well for myself as a midwife after all of this. I had no idea that my license would have been denied in California as well.

So I hired myself an attorney and started the appeal process in order to get my license. The average time is 90 days from the appeal. At 30 days I contact 1 Calfornia congressman and 1 California state senator.  At 60 days I contacted 5 other local politicians. Finally I got an answer and someone who knew someone who was willing to help me speed things along. I called the attorney general's office (who handles appeals) and they told me 1-2 weeks. I was thrilled. I expected to start working around the 90 day mark and so we made plans to move to California, live with my parents for a few weeks and then start our grand adventure.

At 90 days past the appeal process my attorney got ahold of the attorney generals office and they exclaimed, "we are almost done, it should be 1-2 weeks."  And here we sit. No license in hand.

However, let me tell you how this thing called "planning" works. It DOESN'T. I mean, sometimes it does, sometimes you have a plan and it works fairly close to it, but most of the time. It doesnt. Seriously. Especially with big life changing decisions where you move your entire family back to your home town, start your kids in a new school, and move away from all, I mean ALL, of your friends.

But here is where the Lord comes in. He loves me. He loves my family. If I would have had my license back in may, my kids would have left immediately from playing every day with friends to absolutely zero friends, and it is hard to find friends in the summer when your parents work and you are stuck in a day care all day long.

If I would have had my license at 90 days after the appeal, then my girls would have had to start school with no one but each other. No cousins, no grandparents, no friends, and both parents who work. But the Lord knows me, he knows my sweet children and their needs are the most important right now. My eternal family needs to be together right now. With a mom who can take them to school and pick them up every day. They need to be with grandparents, cousins, and they need a mom who will get thousands of play dates together so that they can make friends. They need a mom who is rested and not grumpy all day. The Lord is looking out for us.

The Lord also knows that this is my forced vacation. I would have never taken time off between jobs if my license was ready. For the past 4 years I have been seeing over 125 patients a week, working 72 hours of call a week on top of the 5 days a week in the office. Working every saturday for the past 2 years.  It is about time I spent some time with my family and make sure this transition to California is the best possible thing it can be.

The Lord is looking out for Rich of course too... we are out of 115 degree weather so that makes him happy!  Also, since the move his brother got a great job at Amazon so it seems his family is being blessed having us gone as well... haha... i didn't really mean it like that. But, Rich was so worried about leaving and knowing that they will all be okay makes things that much easier.

I truly am blessed, even living through this period of uncertainty.

No comments:

Post a Comment